Friday, July 15, 2011

Guess What Happened In Kentucky?

Guess What Happened In Kentucky?
I spent three summers in the '70s at the University of Kentucky to earn my school librarian certificate. One summer I had a roommate who was a nursing student. She was finishing up her nursing degree at the University of Kentucky Medical Center and immediately after that she was getting married so she was under a lot of stress.

One night we both had gone to bed in our dorm room. Around 2:00 A.M. in the morning I heard her bed creak and I saw her get up. I assumed that she was going to head down the hall to the communal bathroom. But instead she walked over to her desk and picked up a rubber tourniquet that she was using to practice giving shots and giving blood transfusions. Then she picked up a very sharp lead pencil and started walking over to my bed. What! I didn't know what to think. Was she going to play a joke on me in the middle of the night or what. So I lay there waiting to see what was going to happen next.

When she got beside my bed she started talking. She said, "I need to give you a blood transfusion." Holy Cow! What's going on here I thought quickly. Then it hit me. This girl was sleep walking so I knew I couldn't just wake her up. I had to do some fast thinking. So I threw my arm up in the air and very forcefully hit her arm away from me while I said very loud I don't need a blood transfusion so you get back in bed and go to sleep. You have class tomorrow. Well, lo and behold she listened to what I said. She walked back to her desk and put the tourniquet and pencil down and went back bed and almost immediately started snoring away. I was a little scared to go back to sleep but eventually I did.

The next morning when I told her that she had been sleep walking last night she had absolutely no recollection of doing so. But she did believe me because she said that her family had told her that she had done some sleep walking in the past. That's one funny but true story that I will never ever forget.

1 comment:

Melinda said...

oh my gosh so thankful she went back to sleep! Cannot imagine getting stabbed in the arm with a pencil as an IV!