Thursday, June 28, 2007

Joann's Garden June 2007



Inspite of Bambi's visits the gardens are looking wonderful to me. Just note that there are apricot lily blooms (Atlanta Princess Daylilys) on the right but none on the left due to Bambi's visit.
If you look at the arbor by the swing you can see the blossoms of the American wisteria. This is the wisteria to grow---not as invasive as Chinese or Japanese wisteria. Nickko hydrangeas and the purple coneflowers are attracting bumble bees and butterflies. Note the blue butterfly on the purple coneflower by the finch birdfeeder.



The perennial bed on the northeast side of the house has sky pencils and Alberta spruces plus macrophylia hydrangias, varigated hydrangias, white astilbia, blue and silver load hostas, summer phlox, Russian sage, knockout roses, azaleas, and purple liatris. All of these are blooming under two redbud and one Bradford pear tree. In the far background is Dickie's large flowerbed surrounded by a rock border. By the 4'th of July Dickie's patio is totally hidden by the vegetation in her yard. If you look back at the arbor and swing you will see two bluebird houses attached to the front pillars. We have had one brood of baby bluebirds. They were in the right bluebird house. Today I removed the nest that was left. I will clean out the house in hopes of attracting another bluebird couple in search of a home. I should put up a sign: lease up, new renters wanted.
We have one more bluebird house that currently is holding two baby English sparrows. I opened up this house this morning and saw two little baby birds with almost no feathers. What sad little babies were they. I closed the box quickly because I thought one of the babies was going to fall out of the box. I had disturbed its morning nap. And mother must have left the box to go fetch food for her babies. My thought for the day: human mothers work hard taking care of their young but I think bird mommas work even harder.

No comments: