Monday, August 24, 2009

The Good, The Better, The Best

The Good: Quiznos
The Better: Subway
The Best: Potbellies
In my humble opinion by far the best place to grab a sandwich is Potbellies. I like the old time general store atmosphere of Potbellies. Most of all I like the potbelly black stove that reminds me of my early childhood years when we had a stove just like this only much bigger. The first one down the stairs in the morning opened the stove door and threw in some pieces of wood and a small black piece of coal. I would stand back and watch the sparks fly inside the stove. If any sparks popped out of the stove there was a metal rug under the stove to keep the sparks from starting a home fire. Obviously this stove is only for show because there is no attached flue leading to a chimney to carry away the smoke.
Here you see folks on the left waiting patiently for their sandwich to be made. On the right folks are sitting in cozy booths enjoying their sandwiches. Sometimes the Potbellies in Manassas has a folk singer come in and entertain the diners.

Yes, I like Potbellies. I like the tin ceiling and old time lights.
I like the kitchen helpers that quickly make your sandwiches.
I like the fact that they have books for you to read while eating. If you like a book, you can take it with you. I got a gigantic Paul Brocus cookbook once for free!

Best of all I like the toasted sandwiches. Yum, yum! My very favorite type is the Italian. Oh, it is so toasty warm and good. Do you have a Potbellies where you live? If you don't, you are missing out on something really good. Final note: this is not a paid commercial. It is just my humble judgment call.

3 comments:

Barb said...

Yum - this sounds very good. I've never heard of these sandwich shops. Are they a chain?

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Joann: Looks like a great place.

DeniseinVA said...

I love Potbellies Joann. We have one near our movie theater and sometimes when we came out of the movie we would go in for a late lunch. Reminds me that we haven't been in a while. Maybe this weekend?