Monday, September 7, 2009

I Recognized Miss Able!

Saturday night when Jack and I were eating dinner at Mimi's Cafe a group of people came in and sat down across from us. Immediately I whispered to Jack that I think I see Jennifer's third grade teacher from Fairview Elementary in Burke Centre. Sure enough it was Jennifer's third grade teacher, Miss Able. She was with a group of other former Fairview folks and she still looked exactly the same. So of course I had to go over and talk to her. I learned that she had retired from Fairfax County Public Schools in 1997 and had moved back to Nebraska to take care of her mother. She said the cost of living was way cheaper in Nebraska than in Northern Virginia. And she remembered having Jennifer in her third grade class. I remembered that she emphasized reading and books and creating class video projects for language arts. I gave her a card with my blog address so that she could access it and go from there to Jennifer's blog to see little Jack Aidan. And of course I had to call Jenn and tell her who I ran into after all these years.

Miss Able, if your reading this, I just want to say thank you very much for being a great third grade teacher for Jennifer and for instilling in her a lifelong love of reading and writing. I know. I know. And isn't it uncanny how that Jack and I were there at the same hour on the same night that she was visiting from Nebraska. It's like it was arranged by someone up above.

No comments: