Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Empty Nest

This morning the bluebird parents were still feeding the six baby bluebirds in the white bluebird house on the right of the swing arbor. This afternoon I noticed no bluebirds bringing food (worms) to the bluebird house so I opened up the house and discovered that the babies had flown away. One year I was lucky enough to get to watch the first flights. What a scarry endeavor that was. It was like watching a World War I fighter pilot going down after being hit. I found myself screaming at them: "Pull up, pull up, you are going to crash!" Meanwhile the bluebird parents were screetching their little bird heads off at their fledging babies: "Chirp, chirp, chirp! You can do it. Go up, go up, go up! Chirp, chirp, chirp!" I now will have to remove the nest and wash out the house with dishsoap and water and let it air dry in the sun. Then it will be ready for a new family of bluebirds. And as they say on that TV show if only walls could talk, we would have quite a bluebird story.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my. What a beautiful swing area that looks like it came straight out of Better Homes and Gardens magazine. I also looked at the empty nest and read the post and remember the robins we got to see leave their nest. Lots of memories there too.

I would have to tell you that there is nothing so beautiful in my backyard to compare to this swing area. It is more rugged, flowers are not champions and there is lots of dirt, sticks, stones and mud. It is quite different.

People have been, they said, "shocked," to see nothing they had imagined.

Thanks for the visit to my blog.

Halcyon said...

I put up a bluebird house in my backyard, but so far no takers.

Is there some sort of secret? I am wondering if the place I put it is too open and exposed.

Very nice backyard, btw. :)

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

J&J: It was a really nice story and I agree with Abe this is a pretty area of your yard.

I took a vaction day and caught 12 crappie this morning. This cold weather has set the fishing back by at least 3 weeks.

Patty said...

I can see why they made a home there, beautiful setting.