Friday, June 6, 2008

Little Gem Magnolia Tree

This is the first of two Little Gem magnolia trees that we have in our yard. This one always reminds me of 9/11. We planted it here by the bluebird house just two days before 9/11 occurred in 2001. If you have a small yard then a Little Gem is the magnolia tree to select. It reaches just to 30 feet with a 8 feet spread when fully grown while a regular magnolia tree can get ginormous at 100 feet with a 50 feet spread. It may be little but it smells like a big magnolia tree. Heavenly.


5 comments:

Wanda said...

I've seen these trees and they are beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I have not seen these trees but what I see in your photographs they are beautiful to look at. Is there fruit or anything to eat or just the flowers?

Jack and Joann said...

Abe, they have no fruit. Just beautiful big blossoms that are about six inches across on the Little Gems and 12 inches across on the reguler magnolias. The lady who does Selma, Alabama Daily Photo has posted photos of the reguler magnolias. I have not seen magnolia trees in Ohio but I did see them south of you in Lexington, KY. The blossoms should be called Carpe Diem because they only last for a day once fully open. After that they turn brown.

Judypatooote said...

I love magnolias.....in fact i love any flowering tree....your pictures are beautiful....my daughter had a tulip tree....i guess that is what it was called, and it was right outside an upstair window....when it bloomed it was so gorgeous, and I felt like I was down south....it was pretty messy though....

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

J&J: What a beautiful tree, you get the blooms without the room. It looks like its ready to give a big show.