Monday, June 30, 2008

Country and Western Music

If Tennessee is the center of country music, then Texas must be the center of western music. Here are some songs I learned yesterday at the Smithsonian Folklife Festival that have to do with the lone star state.

"The Yellow Rose of Texas," by Mitch Miller
"You Can't Get the Hell Out of Texas," by George Jones
"Deep in the Heart of Texas," by Moe Bandy
"El Paso," by Marty Robbins
"Luckenbach, Texas," by Waylon Jennings
"New San Antonia Rose," by Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys
Now who is your favorite country and western singer? Mine is Willie Nelson. I like how he combines "outlaw country" music with east Texas delta blues.

3 comments:

Wanda said...

Willie my favorite too...Only one in my family that likes him, so me and Willie sings duets every time I'm in my car alone.... On the Road Again.... :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Sing a song of six pence and dance your jig.

My Birds Blog is reincarnated.

http://mybirdsblog.blogspot.com

Is that the right word?

—Abraham Lincoln
your friend in Brookville, Ohio