Saturday, July 18, 2009

Who Turned Off The Water Spigot?

All of June had an abundance of rainfall. July the first came and someone turned off the water spigot.
Nothing like no real rain in three weeks to make me start to water the yard. Yep, we have turned our underground sprinklers back on to water deeply three times a week. And I have been pulling out the hose to water newly planted plants like these Creeping Jennys by the black Ohio goose.
I have also been watering some newly emerged plants like the pink zinnias in the bird feeder bed. Even the birds like the fresh wet ground for digging in the dirt for worms. But notice how our grass is no longer spring green. It has that middle of July look and will no doubt look even worse before the September rains kick in. Virginia soil is clay soil so when you get a dry spell you are walking around on clay bricks. Hard, hard, hard.

This is our reproduction of that famous Savannah statue that figured in the book Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. Hmmmmmmmm.......maybe that title also describes my garden. LOL!
The original statue down in Savannah was in a famous cemetery there but had to be moved to the Savannah Art Museum because so many people were vandalizing it. As you can see in the above photo I put fresh water in the two bowls the little girl is carrying. I swear that every time I look at that statue it reminds me of my daughter Jeanine when she was about seven years old. Jeanine doesn't want to agree with my observation. Maybe because the birds drink and bathe from each bowl and then stand on the little girl's head to dry their feathers and poop! Another reason I'm always hosing down The Bird Girl. In real life a seagull at Myrtle Beach one year did the very same thing to little Jeanine.
I want rain but not this morning because we have an outdoor birthday party planned for Jack Aidan. And yes, you all will hear about it tomorrow.

1 comment:

Dragons52 said...

What I want to know is how we get that tap turned back on! It hurts to see all the dry spots in the yard now and of course the trees are now stressed!