Saturday, April 16, 2011

Three Souvenirs

Three Souvenirs
Above is a photo of the magazine that the folks in Natchez, Mississippi published for their spring home and garden festival. But notice that they don't call it a festival like we do up here in Virginia. They call it a pilgrimage. For some reason I find that a little strange. In the past I have always related the word pilgrimage to a sacred trip. For instance, those of the Jewish faith might make a pilgrimage to the wailing wall in Jerusalem while Catholics might make a pilgrimage to Bethlehem. And Muslims might make a pilgrimage to Mecca while good Mormons would try to see the Tabernacle in Salt Lake City. So I am puzzled. Why a pilgrimage (sacred journey) to Natchez?
Here's my second souvenir. It is an historical novel by one of the descendants of one of the former owners of a plantation home in Natchez. This great novel centers around the still existing Natchez home that is called The Burn and the occupants who lived there before, during and after the Civil War. The year 2011 marks a four year memorial celebration of the 150th anniversary of the Civil War. This book has got me into thinking about the causes and consequences of the Civil War. By the way, burn in Scottish means brook and so this home in Natchez sat by a brook or burn.

My third and final souvenir you will have to see on my daughter's blog over on the right. I found a Tshirt for our grandson and when he came over I had him model it for me and Grandpa. See Jenn's blog for more of Jack Aidan's reaction to his souvenir.

No comments: