Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Quebec City, Quebec, Canada Part VI

Quebec City, Quebec, Canada Part VI

Tour of Basilica of Notre Dame

Quebec City, Quebec, Canada Part VI
Tour of Notre - Dame Basilica
This beautiful white, gold and blue basilica was built by an American.
All the gold at the high alter is gold leaf over wood.
The alter itself is modeled after the Vatican in Rome with its center dome.
The ornate design reminded me of the Palace of Versailles outside Paris.
This is a view of the massive organ upstairs at the back of the church.
Here is a view of the ceiling. Again this reminded me of Versailles.
This is the basement under the main church. This is where bishops and cardinals are buried.
This was our witty tour guide who gave a great tour in both French and English.
Yes, this is what you think it is skulls and bones. The church has a long history and at one point
parishners were buried under the church pew that they bought and used every Sunday. Then there was a fire and all the bodies buried under those pews became all mixed up. So they placed them together in a certain part of the basement. The bones of over 900 people are down there all in a jumble. This reminded me of a tour of Rome's catacombs. Creepy.
This is how they display the casket of a prominent cardinal and bishop before the final interment.

3 comments:

Lesley said...

Your pictures inside the Basilica came out beautifully. I always find it difficult to get the lighting correct for church shots.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Joann: Amazing captures in the church, reminds me of the churches in Europe. Hope you are feeling well.

BraCom said...

Beautiful interior photos, nicce place


Regards, Bram

My Wordpress Blog, My World Tuesday

Seen on My World Tuesday