Saturday, March 29, 2008

Wooden White House Easter Eggs

These are our souvenir White House Easter Eggs from our visit to the egg roll in 1983. The two blue eggs are autographed by Melissa Belote and the gold egg by David Wingate. In 1983 I would have had trouble finding out who these people were. But in 2008 it is a different story. I did a web search and learned that Melissa Belote was a swimmer who won three gold medals at the 1972 Summer Olympic Games in Munich, Germany. I was teaching in Frankfurt, Germany at the time and I remember the Munich massacre at those games very well. Some teachers at my school had planned to take leave to go down and watch some of their favorite athletes perform but were very frightened to do so after the shootings. From the web I learned that David Wingate was a basketball player for the Georgetown Hoyas in 1983 and that he went on to have a great career in the NBA. So these are our signed Easter eggs from the 1983
White House Easter Egg Roll. I wonder how much these autographed sports figure eggs are worth today?

No comments: