Friday, August 8, 2008

Second Cuttings

This reminds me of long ago Ohio summer hay harvests. You had the first cutting and baling and then later the second cutting and baling. Well, these Jackson Perkins roses are the second cutting. The first and biggest bloom was in June. The third and smallest bloom will be in October before a frost does them in so to speak. The ones on the archway are still second blooming and the ones by the patio got cut back yesterday. No I don't bale them up. Way too many thorns on this particular variety to even do a cutting for a house bouquet. You need to be wondering around my yard to enjoy these. If you click on the second photo, you will see that these roses have pretty soft yellow centers. You will also see our blue blue skies. Right now I would like to see some clouds in the sky because for the past week it has been very, very dry here.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your roses are beautiful. I never had any luck growing roses and tried for several decades and then gave up and let the aphids have what was left.

I have been dealing with rheumatoid arthritis in my hands. The chemotherapy doesn't stop the pain so my typing is limited.

Anonymous said...

Read your comment on my blog about the Sears and Roebuck houses.

When I was a little boy -- less than 4 years old -- my dad and mom would go to my mom's father's house (my grandpa) and on the way we passed a new house. My dad told my mother that it was one of those new Sears and Roebuck houses.

And....

You ready for this.....

It was delivered by the US Mail. Honest.

I will have to post a picture of it soon.