Monday, October 27, 2008

My World Tuesday Second Week

My World Tuesday
Second Week
October 28, 2008

My Neighbors Experience A House Fire This is every homeowner's worst nightmare. Your beloved home sweet home going up in flames!
This happened in My World last Wednesday afternoon here in our Piedmont Golf Course Community in Haymarket, VA.
My neighbors and I counted 15 firetrucks that came thru our gated community to fight this house fire. There were just as many or more police vehicles and ambulences responding to this fire that destroyed three homes and severly damaged the siding on a fourth house.
This was the first time I have ever seen a hook and ladder unit in operation fighting the flames that were whipped about by the blowing fall winds. Actually there were two hook and ladder units fighting the blazes. One in front of the townhouses and on at the back of the townhouses. If you click on the photo above, you can see the fiery inferno on the main floor of this townhouse. Luckily everyone was away at the time for this particular townhouse but a pet dog had to be rescued by firefighters. Some Final Thoughts
The Prince William Fire and Rescue squads as well at the Prince William Police need to be commended for their quick response and the efficient manner in which they fought this fire. Three homes were condemned and the homeowners had just three and half hours to go into the smoldering ruins and retrieve any valuables that they wanted to retrieve. After that the houses were boarded up and placed off limits to everyone. One family had three children and the youngest, a girl, came home from school on her birthday to find her house in flames and her birthday presents on fire! Kindhearted neighbors who heard about this went out and bought birthday presents for her as well as clothes and shoes.
Today we received an email from our Piedmont Homeowners Association giving us an update of this devastating fire and info on how we can give either clothes or household items or money to help these unfortunate neighbors.
Need Something Fun After This Sad Post?

Detour by mouse to the blog I have listed under My Blog List to see a bunch of babies dressed up for Halloween. Look for Jenn and Terry.

My daughter did a split picture: the babies in drag at the 2007 party at her house and the same group plus a few others in this past Saturday's 2008 party at her house. The little fellow dressed as Mickey Mouse and holding a sippy cup is my pride and joy: my grandson Jack! He was a little out of it because he had just gotten his first chickenpox vaccination.


17 comments:

Louise said...

There's really nothing worse than watching a house burn. Once it happened right across the street from me. It was horrible. I've seen several from a distance in our development. What a sick feeling.

imac said...

Oh dear, bad news, but your photos are dramatic

ewok1993 said...

Oh that's really scary, the worst nightmare it is. I can imagine that coming from here where wildfires burn down many peoples houses every single year.

ChrissyM said...

What dramatic photos. Your poor neighbors. My heart goes out to your neighbors and their family.

ChrissyM said...

What dramatic photos. Your poor neighbors. My heart goes out to your neighbors and their family.

Your EG Tour Guide said...

How very sad! hat's an experience I hope most of us NEVER have.

babooshka said...

That is awful. I must admit it's one of my worst nightmares. All our thoughts will be with your neighbours.

Rose said...

It was good no one was hurt/or home, but wouldn't it be horrible to come home and find your home and contents burned to the ground...or even until unusable?

Wren said...

Chilling photos. Once a fire invades your world that closely, you'll never feel quite the same way about fire drills.

Glad no one was hurt.

Wren said...

Chilling photos. Once a fire invades your world that closely, you'll never feel quite the same way about fire drills.

Glad no one was hurt.

Brit' Gal Sarah said...

Wow what a terrible thing to happen, I think it is every homeowners worst nightmare

Wanda said...

How devestating that has to be. You certainly did get some good pictures of the tragedy.

I can't even imagine how awful that would be.

Arija said...

If you check out my My World post you will understand why I understand your post. We never saw a single fireman.

Lawstude said...

Thank you for the wonderful tour. This 2nd week of meme really makes us appreciate the many places that we don't usually see or ever had a chance to visit like the one you showed me in this post. Hope you get to have time to check my world too. Another great job and more to come in the coming weeks.

fishing guy said...

Joann: That certainly was a tragedy but it certainly was part of your world last week. Thank God no one was hurt.

imac said...

Hi, Yes Lincoln is 26 miles from Grantham, tis a lovely place to and just opposit is Lincoln Castle.

Klaus said...

That really is not the experience one like to have! But it is part of our World!
Cheers, Klaus